Friday, July 17, 2009

Look, Ma! I'm an Application!


I was trying to decide what my blog site name would be so I did what any well-adjusted person would do and I searched ‘nicole definition’ on google. I mean, who doesn’t use a search engine to find answers to important questions? This is what came up:

Acronym: NICOLE
Definition: Nearly Intelligent Computer Operated Language Examiner

I was Intrigued, to say the least. I then did a search on ‘Nearly Intelligent Computer Operated Language Examiner’ and found that NICOLE is a Linux application. (http://www.linux.org/apps/AppId_2288.html)

NICOLE (Nearly Intelligent Computer Operated Language Examiner) is a theory or experiment that if a computer is given enough combinations of how words, phrases and sentences are related to one another, it could talk back to you. It is an attempt to simulate a conversation by learning how words are related to other words. A human communicates with NICOLE via the keyboard and NICOLE responds back with its own sentences which are automatically generated, based on what NICOLE has stored in it's database. Each new sentence that has been typed in, and NICOLE doesn't know about, is included into NICOLE's database, thus extending the knowledge base of NICOLE.

What can I say, I was floored. I felt like I was reading a synopsis of my autobiography. Linux, you had me at, “NICOLE responds back with its own sentences which are automatically generated, based on what NICOLE has stored in it’s database.” So that’s me. Well, maybe not quite. Imagine the Linux application NICOLE after 4 beers - - and that’s me. I’m an application. Linux, you complete me.

No comments:

Post a Comment